Recipe: Manakish (Zatar Bread)
Zatar is a Middle-Eastern spice blend you’re more and more likely to see at your local grocery and is always available at Middle-Eastern stores. (They have different brands and styles and often scoop some out from a bulk bin, which is usually great stuff.) It’s a common cooking and table spice that’s a mix of Sumac leaves, Sesame seeds, Thyme and other spices. While excellent mixed with olive oil as a pita bread dip, if you have a pizza oven like the Pizzeria Pronto you’re in for a treat. This recipe tops pita or flatbread dough with garlic, oil and Zatar, which tastes even better.
I’ll warn you, it’s addictive. The savory taste goes nicely with a summer salad and sweet dressing or a wilted lettuce salad.
• Hunk of fresh Pita Dough just larger than a golf ball. • 1 teaspoon Zatar • 1 teaspoon olive oil • 1/2 teaspoon Amore Garlic Paste
- Flour and roll out the dough to 1/8" thick.
- Mix oil and garlic, then spread over the bread.
- Sprinkle on the Zatar. Slide onto a peel that’s been dusted with cornmeal and slide into the Pizzeria Pronto.
- Bake at 700° for 6 minutes.
Spread a little hummus or mahammurah on zatar bread as an appetizer. It’s quite an experience.