Recipe: Pita Bread
This uses my pizza crust recipe, essentially the same dough as pita bread. It works well in the Pizzeria Pronto oven to make a tender pocketed pita for dipping or stuffing or a flatter pita for wraps. This uses the sponge dough method which creates very robust yeast and refrigerates and freezes well.
- 1 T yeast
- 2 T honey
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- 3 1/2 C King Arthur Bread Flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t olive oil
- Mix yeast, honey and warm water in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes for the yeast to feast.
- Add half the flour. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes covered. This creates the sponge.
- Mix in the rest of the flour, salt and olive oil. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Break off a hunk a little larger than a golf ball.
- Knead again.
- Flour and roll out to about 1/4" thick of a stuffing pita or 1/8 inch thick for a wrapping pita. The pita will be about 5-7 inches.
- Slide a peel lightly underneath and slide into the oven. A little cornmeal or flour will help the pizza slide easily off the peel.
- Bake at 700º for about 4 minutes. Flipping halfway through is recommended.
This goes great with homemade hummus.
Why buy me a coffee? No third-party ads, no affiliate links, no tracking cookies. Just honest content. Thanks.